Wednesday, January 30, 2008

72 Hour Kits the April Lady Way

I was really excited when I jpined a class to put together 72 hour kit food storage containers. Then I obtained the list of what was to be included and realized that it just wasn't for me, or anyone in my family for that matter. Ryan and I began discussing what items we would prefer to have available to us if we were asked to leave our home quickly with little notice. This is what we have come up with, although it has yet to be boxed. Those containers are only 3.00 which is nice. I will have to get a few. Anyway, instead of making individual kits we have chosen to just put everything together.

Okay, actually here is our list:
Breakfast
granola and apple/blueberry cereal
rice milk (small juice box sized containers)
Snacks
applesauce, small containers (9 - 1/day/person)
peanut/cashew container
pepperoni
Odwalla bars (1/person)
Dinner
bear creek dehydrated soups (3 kinds)

I may swap out some soup for a dehydrated meal or two from REI. I also hope to add jerky, tuna packets, crackers and water of course. I believe the magic number is one gallon per person per day. They say you need to have comfort foods, so I will eventually add something chocolate I'm sure! I plan to replace items regularly in June and January. Hooray for me!

The other items included in our 72 hour kit, which will someday be packed into a hiking pack ready to leave at a moment's notice, are: first aid kit, clothing, basic toiletries, mess kit, crank flashlight and lantern, cards, phone card, and cash.

1 comment:

  1. I'm doing it your way next time for sure. Yum!

    ReplyDelete