Friday, April 17, 2009

Garden State (Backyard) Fall 2009

I took stock of our backyard garden today while Tyler was playing (aka watering the sunroom). We are in our in between stage right now. All of the Tangelos have been juiced although we are up to our ears in lemons and greapefruits. Ryan tries to irritate me to death every weekend while he runs the electric juicer for oh-five hours at a time - trying to save every last ounce of juice and freeze it. Weeds are bountiful as well as bolting and flowering plants. We have very little sustenance coming from the garden, but know that soon our tomatoes will be ripe, our artichokes will come forth and our asparagus will be popping through the ground. Along with harvesting, one of my favorite things to do in the garden is collect seeds. I love to collect seeds. The monotony of it is somehow satisfying as is the frugality of it. I hate to pull up finished plants because I know if I am patient they will give me the seeds I need for the next planting season. So, without further ado, here is the state of our garden via photographs...

Tyler, as he continues to try to water the sunroom. The dammage had already been done.

Tyler snags a snap pea from the garden, after shedding all of his clothes.

In my pretty garden...the flowers are blooming. Nasturtiums and double ruffled poppies dot the back garden beds.

Bolted Broccoli that has gone to seed. These pods will dry out and we will steal the seeds from inside for next season's garden.
Red leaf lettuce that has bolted. It should go to seed soon and we can rip that sucker outta' there.
These two large tomato plants, Ryan swear he did not plant. We don't know where they came from, but we are happy to have them.
Oooh, look, a little artichoke is peeking through. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment